Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thoughts on the food chain (aka heirarchy)...

I've never been one for hierarchy. I have never really had a problem speaking my mind. Since a kid I would make a decision and go with it - disregarding and "or else!" threat my parents would hand down. When I was 2 or 3 I was the goofy kid who would barely eat (yes, this caught up with me in college when I discovered take out) and I ESPECIALLY would not eat meat. No way, uh uh. This trait, however has managed to stick with me.

On one occasion my Dad, being the certain Alpha male and grand poo-bah of the Beal household told me to eat the meat on my plate or go to bed. I went to bed. They gave me choice (ha! fools) and I made it. According to my brother, the look on Dad's face was classic. Too bad I was strutting up the stairs worrying if I might die of malnutrition in the night. I think my brother brought me something to eat later, because he was one of those rare "nice" brothers who cared about is dorky sister.

Fast forward to today. Where I am employed at an organization full of hierarchy. Where I can't go directly to certain people, but I can go through their gatekeepers (administrative assistants) and guard dogs (assistants to their administrative assistants). 2+ years here and I'm still getting the drift of how to maneuver through bureaucratic land mines......I still have my limbs so I suppose my professional kung fu skills (interpersonal sales skills) have paid off. It just seems so unnecessarily exhausting. And for what? Dare I say....ego?

I just don't get it. Why the lofty office? Special parking space? Assistant to the administratvie assistant? Multiple blackberries? Doesn't that get bothersome? In recent weeks, I have found gladness in my menial role in cubicle land. Sure, I'm held accountable to things beyond my control, but I am not woken in the night by the pious humming of a b-berry. I do think about work - and sometimes dream about it. But lately my perspective has continued to change and improve. I do what I can, knowing God goes before me and after me to make things work and come together. I don't feel valued by people, but I do by Jesus. What a nice place to be.

I am human, He is omniscient. And that is the only hierarchy I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment